[pve-devel] question/idea : managing big proxmox cluster (100nodes), get rid of corosync ?

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Sep 20 08:21:00 CEST 2016

On 09/20/2016 07:43 AM, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> One thing that I think it could be great,
>
> is to be able to have unique vmid across differents proxmox clusters.
>
> maybe with a letter prefix for example (cluster1: vmid: a100 , cluster2: vmid:b100).

I would use the clustername as a "namespace" for this, as its already
unique in a network.
So we keep the VMIDs as they are but use the cluster name for resolving
the correct one, between-cluster-movements could be done with assign and
remapping VMIDs if there's a conflict, but there we would need also
handle left over backups and such stuff from the VM. Same problems would
always arise if someone "merges" such clusters with VMs already on them.

> Like this, it could be possible migration vm across cluster (offline, or maybe even online),
> and also share storage across cluster.

My use case I thought about was moving VMs from testing to production
setup (not live, at least at the beginning ;) ), and also mainly as you
say, that storages could be shared between clusters.
But I have not looked into what all needed to change, I guess there are
a lot of places and it needs some good design if done. breaking
compatibility to older setup is not quite an option, imo.