[pve-devel] intel pstate: wrong cpu frequency with performance governor

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Sep 19 14:14:12 CEST 2016

Ok,
I have test the patched kernel,

and I still have the same behavior, the frequency still go up and down.
(But it's not stuck anymore, like the bug I have see last week)

I think this is the normal behavior of pstate, as they are a lower limit.

But for virtualisation, I think it's really bad to have changing frequency. (clock problem for example).

Also for corosync, that mean that a loaded node will have faster frequency, and non-loaded node low frequency.
This can give us retransmit, because low frequency take more time to get the corosync message than the fastest node
https://www.hastexo.com/resources/hints-and-kinks/whats-totem-retransmit-list-all-about-corosync/

result:

without any load:

root at kvm1:/etc/pve# cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep MHz
cpu MHz		: 2025.292
cpu MHz		: 1520.816
cpu MHz		: 3261.175
cpu MHz		: 1875.742
cpu MHz		: 2923.445
cpu MHz		: 1935.078
cpu MHz		: 2860.597
cpu MHz		: 1671.820
cpu MHz		: 1200.039
cpu MHz		: 1653.656
cpu MHz		: 1602.433
cpu MHz		: 1935.320
cpu MHz		: 2042.972
cpu MHz		: 1359.761
cpu MHz		: 3460.253
cpu MHz		: 1200.039
cpu MHz		: 2163.097
cpu MHz		: 1710.328
cpu MHz		: 2249.316
cpu MHz		: 1199.675
cpu MHz		: 2473.945
cpu MHz		: 1731.398
cpu MHz		: 2541.273
cpu MHz		: 1658.863
cpu MHz		: 2528.800
cpu MHz		: 1680.660
cpu MHz		: 1922.847
cpu MHz		: 1369.570
cpu MHz		: 1940.890
cpu MHz		: 1526.507
cpu MHz		: 1952.878
cpu MHz		: 1452.761
cpu MHz		: 1788.675
cpu MHz		: 2137.910
cpu MHz		: 1942.828
cpu MHz		: 1707.664
cpu MHz		: 1438.957
cpu MHz		: 1642.757
cpu MHz		: 1561.382
cpu MHz		: 2104.730

running cpu benchmark:

root at kvm1:/etc/pve# cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep MHz
cpu MHz		: 3199.902
cpu MHz		: 3199.902
cpu MHz		: 3199.902
cpu MHz		: 3199.902