[pve-devel] DRBD backward compatibility

Cesar Peschiera brain at click.com.py
Sun Sep 27 06:25:01 CEST 2015

Hi Dietmar

Please let me to do three questions about of the future of DRBD in PVE 4:

1- As i have installed DRBD 8.4.5 in my PVE nodes, and they are connected
together in NIC-to-NIC mode (also enabled with balance-rr in pairs of NICs,
jumbo frames, etc.).
So my question is if can i to have this same setup and work with the latest
version of DRBD in PVE?

Notes:
A) I don't use a network common for all the layer the storage (that would
be ideal, but also it would be too costly), so i need to have several DRBD
groups independents in each servers pair.
B) With this setup, i don't need to purchase NICs of 10 Gb/s nor Switches of
10 Gb/s for the layer the storage, and i obtain a very good performance.

2- As i have different setups for different pairs of servers and the DRBD
tuning is different according to Hardware used, i guess that the manual
configuration will be always available, right?

3- As always at principle, i do several tests of performance for know what
is the best configuration, i guess that DRBD service can be started and
stopped independently to other services, right?

(This message is a copy of DRBD mailing list)