[pve-devel] Snapshot questions

Philipp Marek philipp.marek at linbit.com
Fri Sep 4 08:43:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm currently implementing the snapshot functions for the DRBD backend; but
a few questions have popped up, so I'm asking them here.

*) The first question is - how would these get called? "pvesm" shows no
matching arguments, and the GUI has no "snapshot" buttons either.

Does that hide behind backup functionality or something like that?

*) The second question is - recently the "filesystem_path" function got a new
line added:

    die "drbd snapshot is not implemented\n" if defined($snapname);

In what circumstances would that function get called? While the Thin LVM
snapshots that DRBDmanage uses might be addressable locally[1], accessing
them is not recommended. Is that just for information purposes in the GUI?

*) Thirdly, about restoring snapshots...
There's the volume_snapshot_rollback() function that will destroy the
volume's data and replace it with the data in the snapshot - but using
a snapshot for a new ("clean") VM isn't being done, right?

During volume_snapshot_rollback() there will no one be accessing the
original volume, and after rollback it can have a new filesystem_path(),
correct?

Thanks for any information!

Regards,

Phil

Ad 1: Or might not, if the given machine doesn't have _that_ snapshot (eg.
because it was turned off at that time).