[pve-devel] DRBD9 test packages for jessie

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Sat Mar 21 06:58:16 CET 2015

> 1- While a VM is running with LVM on top of DRBD, the replicate storages be
> in secondary mode, ie, only to have a primary storage for each VM that is
> running (that always was the recommendation of LINBIT for security reasons).

The concept with DRBD9 is a bit different, i.e. we will not use LVM on top
of DRBD. Instead, DRBD uses LVM internally, and we use 'drbdmanage' to
configure it.

The new auto-promote feature make sure the resource is always active
on only one host.

> 2- And when i apply a live migration of a VM, the DRBD plugin first see if
> the replicated storage is perfectly synchronized (in terms of drbd "oos"
> that mean: "out of sync"), and if really are perfectly synchronized, the
> plugin converts the secondary storage in primary for after apply the live
> migration, and after of a live migration successfully, finally convert the
> old primary storage in secondary. Of this mode, always we have a primary
> storage in execution for each VM.

The new architecture will avoid those problem, because we do not
use primary-primary mode.