[pve-devel] RFC: qemu-server : add cloudinit support

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Jun 15 13:18:01 CEST 2015

> -) We don't really like the whole "rebooting after configuration"
> option. It could be an optional flag, but ideally the user only needs to
> boot once, and since the IP options are always available in the GUI it
> also wouldn't be harmful to always include the cloud-init drive. This
> also improves compatibility to "default installations" of cloud init
> (like on ubuntu where it otherwise by default tries to connect to a
> magic IP.).

I also support having the config-drive always available, as I don't see
the use case of changing the VM IP address against the will of the
cluster admin.

I asked on the debian-cloud mailing, and most setups expect the
cloud-init config to be always available on boot.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2015/06/msg00028.html

@alexandre: thanks for putting this forward ! Out of band IP
configuration is a really a nice plus for provisionning.

Emmanuel