[pve-devel] Incremental backups

Kamil Trzciński ayufan at ayufan.eu
Fri Sep 19 11:57:13 CEST 2014

Hi Eneko,

My patches try to add one of missing features, but the way it works is
not very efficient, because it uses xdelta3 to create differential. It
not only uses extra CPU cycle, but also requires you to read
previously done backup. In the future it should be done on qemu level.
Qemu should track what did exactly change and make incremental backup
from only changed bits. Similar approach is described here:
http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Livebackup

I think that this is completely fine that it's not merged. Just
because it is an extension which you can install you should also
understand what drawbacks it has. If it got merged there might be some
confusion about this feature, because it doesn't work well for large
number VMs or extremely large ones.

Kamil