[pve-devel] Incremental backups

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Fri Sep 19 11:41:23 CEST 2014

Hi Martin,

On 19/09/14 11:07, Martin Maurer wrote:
>> I just found out about this blog:
>> http://ayufan.eu/projects/proxmox-ve-differential-backups/
>>
>> You surely know about it; I was curious about the reasons to reject the patches
>> and also about whether there are any plans for incremental or differential
>> backups. I think it would be a popular feature with our paying clients.
> The reason why this is not included is already discussed on this list.
> => read the archives.

If you're pointing to this thread:
http://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2012-August/thread.html#3412

I hardly see any discussion, just a no-statement with a vague "we want
to keep vzdump simple" and no reply to Kamil's last message where he
points-out that his changes are small. He has even kept the patches
up-to-date with Proxmox versions.

The feature is very interesting for remote-copying backups and keeping
backup storage size lower. I can understand that maybe technical reasons
favor another solution against this, but this doesn't seem the case?

Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico
Binovo IT Human Project, S.L.