[pve-devel] vm_copy : running vm copy for proxmox 3.0 ?

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Thu May 2 17:29:31 CEST 2013

On Thu, 02 May 2013 10:58:28 +0200 (CEST)
Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com> wrote:

> The only thing need to be improved, is if the target storage is slower than source storage
> the drive-mirror can run indefinility,retrying again and again new block write.
> so currently the code make an optionnal vm pause to handle this case.
> But maybe we can use qmp block_set_io_throttle to limit the write on the source vm.

Slower as in absolute speed or slower as in slow due to high load?
Both scenarios gives the same outcome.

I will make some experiment with 'block_set_io_throttle'. Is there any
best practice for setting the value of 'block_set_io_throttle'?

> I think that Michael Rasmussen have this problem, so maybe he can help us to test.
> I don't have a slow target storage to test ;)

The only time I see this issue is if target is slower than source and
target is NFS and it is a live migration situation. iSCSI seems to be
more robust and generally handles migrations better than NFS.

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
Linux!  Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.
(By mah at ka4ybr.com, Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)