[pve-devel] update disk config, always rescan all the storage, can we avoid that ?

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Jun 5 06:49:32 CEST 2013

> >>What is the advantage compared to 'qm set virtio0 ...'?
>
> I thinked mainly to manage add/remove in a task worker, as some actions
> can take some time.
>
> (like add/remove disk for some storage, or hot-unplug which need to wait
> for vm response,...)
>
> As an example, for an rbd storage, if you delete a big file, when you validate
> the form, it wait some seconds, the form is diplayed again but the disk in
> correctly created and config updated.
>
> Maybe adding a bigger timeout can work, but we can't known how much
> time it'll take.

The problem is that the same kind of actions can be  fast or slow - depends on storage type.
An asynchronous interface running a background task solves the problem, but is clumsy to use.

One idea was to always run a background task, but wait up to 5-10 seconds to see if the task finish
within that time - if so return a special TASK ID.

Not sure if that is a good idea?