[pve-devel] successfull migration but failed resume

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sat Feb 23 08:05:35 CET 2013

>>yes

Well, No really,

if the migration fail, the target vm process is always killed, so it's not a problem.

The problem is when we  have the target vm correctly migrated, but the vm config file that is keep on first node.(timeframe windows is very short,maybe 1s)
In this case,you have a "phantom" kvm process on target, as user don't see the vm on target node, and user can start again the vm on first node, and boom.

It was really a problem last year, If I remember the vm config file was moved at the begin of the migration, and we killed the sourcevm when migration failed.
But killing the sourcevm didn't always working,so we had a "phantom" process on sourcevm and user can start again the vm on target vm and boom.

So this is why we start in paused. But the risk currently is in the little timeframe at the end of the migration, when we need to move the config file.

Ideas are welcome to improve this  ;)