[pve-devel] Count monthly traffic

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Apr 17 07:24:33 CEST 2013

> Am 12.03.2013 18:53, schrieb Dietmar Maurer:
> >> Why does a single file creates less load? Both contain the same amount of
> data.
> >
> > A VM can use up to 32 network devices. Updating 32 files create more load
> than updating a single file?
>
> I want to proceed with this one. First i need to know how it works.

> There is:
>
> Extract/read data FROM RRD:
>    /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2Tools.pm

The basic support is in PVE::Cluster (broadcast_rrd, create_rrd_data, create_rrd_graph)

> Get VM Status and store these data in a hash:
>    /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm: sub vmstatus
>
> Then there is status.c in pve-cluster which has update_rrd_data.
>
> So status.c seems to create and update the rrd files.

yes.

> Who calls it and how does it  get it's data?

Data is sent wit corosync when you do PVE::Cluster::broadcast_rrd()

> So with my idea i need to add another struct rrd_def_vm_net and
> another folder pve2-net?

It is still not clear if we want a single file, or multiple files. I guess this requires
careful evaluation. How does such system behave when we have 3000VMs? We need
to test that before we go further.