[pve-devel] Fw: Storage migration

eric eric at netwalk.com
Sun Nov 18 16:47:59 CET 2012

If doing live block migration over 10g or faster the performance will be just fine for nearly all use cases.
It would be useable over 1g if the vm is not doing lots of io.

Sometimes a little bit of a performance hit is better than having downtime.

Having the option allows flexibility to solve problems that might not be obvious to us today.

Here are some use cases where I would want live block migration.

1. Vm stored on DRBD, I build new DRBD servers with much faster io. Would be great to live block migrate from slow DRBD server to new fast DRBD server.

2. Some day in the future I decide to move from DRBD to ceph or sheepdog.  Would be great to live block migrate from DRBD to my new distributed storage setup.

3. I have a vm on local storage and want to move it to DRBD/ceph/sheepdog/iscsi.  Live block migration would be great.

4. Vm stored on local storage and server needs maintenance, like installing more ram. Live block migrate vm to some other node for no downtime maintenance.

Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:Can someone explain me why I want live block migrations?

I can see that it is sometimes necessary to move a disk from one store to another,
but doing this while the VM is online seem to be a big waste of resources.
If there is some load on the VM, you will get very poor results.

And normally I want to move a single disk, not all?