[pve-devel] Fw: Storage migration

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sun Nov 18 12:00:08 CET 2012

>>I have read the qemu plans
><(http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration) which seems to me
>>they are taking an approach centered around a VM meaning they will
>>perform migration where the entire VM is moved accordingly.

Not sure, I think we can only migrate the storage without migrate the vm. (maybe we can do both at the same time)
I know it's works with file, not sure it's work with all blocks storages.

drive-mirror qmp infos:

"
SQMP
drive-mirror
------------

Start mirroring a block device's writes to a new destination. target
specifies the target of the new image. If the file exists, or if it is
a device, it will be used as the new destination for writes. If it does not
exist, a new file will be created. format specifies the format of the
mirror image, default is to probe if mode='existing', else the format
of the source.

Arguments:

- "device": device name to operate on (json-string)
- "target": name of new image file (json-string)
- "format": format of new image (json-string, optional)
- "mode": how an image file should be created into the target
  file/device (NewImageMode, optional, default 'absolute-paths')
- "speed": maximum speed of the streaming job, in bytes per second
  (json-int)
- "sync": what parts of the disk image should be copied to the destination;
  possibilities include "full" for all the disk, "top" for only the sectors
  allocated in the topmost image, or "none" to only replicate new I/O
  (MirrorSyncMode).
- "on-source-error": the action to take on an error on the source
  (BlockdevOnError, default 'report')
- "on-target-error": the action to take on an error on the target
  (BlockdevOnError, default 'report')

Example:

-> { "execute": "drive-mirror", "arguments": { "device": "ide-hd0",
                                               "target": "/some/place/my-image",
                                               "sync": "full",
                                               "format": "qcow2" } }
<- { "return": {} }
"

>>The name will
>>obviously be 'migrate' or 'move'. When the user presses the button an
>>overlay menu should open showing the following:

>>Disk: The name
>>Target: A drop-down list displaying available shared storage

>>I will not show a checkbox for choosing online since this will be
>>implicit - connected to a running instance means online, offline
>>otherwise.

>>Next part will be to move the disk to the new location and change
>>vmid.config accordantly.

>>Finish by refreshing the GUI with the new information.

Yes, Good Idea.
offline can be easily done with "qemu-img convert", it's works will all storages

> Wouldn't it be useful to be able to move disks from VM X to VM Y. I don't like that disks are fixed to vms.

Exactly my point of view.

I have read the qemu plans
(http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration) which seems to me
they are taking an approach centered around a VM meaning they will
perform migration where the entire VM is moved accordingly. I was
thinking more about added a extra button under the hardware tab which
will be available when a harddisk is having focus. The name will