[pve-devel] Fw: Storage migration

Michael Rasmussen mir at datanom.net
Sat Nov 17 20:14:04 CET 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:41:45 +0100
Stefan Priebe <s.priebe at profihost.ag> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be useful to be able to move disks from VM X to VM Y. I don't like that disks are fixed to vms.

Exactly my point of view.

I have read the qemu plans
(http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration) which seems to me
they are taking an approach centered around a VM meaning they will
perform migration where the entire VM is moved accordingly. I was
thinking more about added a extra button under the hardware tab which
will be available when a harddisk is having focus. The name will
obviously be 'migrate' or 'move'. When the user presses the button an
overlay menu should open showing the following:

Disk: The name
Target: A drop-down list displaying available shared storage

I will not show a checkbox for choosing online since this will be
implicit - connected to a running instance means online, offline
otherwise.