[pve-devel] adding libiscsi to qemu-kvm ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Jul 10 08:22:50 CEST 2012

>>For me this is a step back.
I disagree.This is a huge step for direct iscsi luns.
I can tell you that it's currently a pain to manage with a lot of luns.

>>We lose snapshot capabilities and multipath support?

which snapshot capabilities ? I'm talking about iscsi devices, not lvm on top of iscsi.
Snapshots/cloning must be done on the san side. (nexenta,netapp,.. have api to do this).

About multipath, I can tell you that with 500luns, it's pretty impossible to manage. (it's using a lot of cpu and hanging sometimes)
In fact,i'm going to implemenent lacp soon, I have add too much problem with multipath daemon.

Currently if something goes wrong (failover of san controller or network saturation), with a lot of luns, kernel take a lot of time to restore device access.
last time, I have a 30sec failover, kernel+multipath have take 5min to restore device access...
With libscsi, it take around 5sec to restore access.

>> And as soon an ceph/sheepdog is stable you will dump iscsi anyways?

Sure, but I don't want to put to trash a 100.000$ san, right ? ;)
Migrate to ceph/sheepdog will take time.
For ceph, i got around 14000iops, not enough for me and sheepdog seem to be not enough stable.