[pve-devel] kvm disk template implementation ideas

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Thu Aug 23 12:11:06 CEST 2012

- either explicit: by using different volume names
- or implicit: we generate the real snapshot volume names as F(volid, snapshotname)

I think we need implicit,
I don't see how explicit can work.
Volume name is always the same, snapshot should just be a reference name of a point in time

qcow2
-----
#qemu-img create -f qcow2 image1 1G
# qemu-img snapshot -c snap1 image1
# qemu-img snapshot -l image1
Snapshot list:
ID        TAG                 VM SIZE                DATE       VM CLOCK
1         snap1                     0 2012-08-23 12:09:15   00:00:00.000

sheepdog
--------
#  collie vdi create image1 1G
# collie vdi snapshot -s snap1 image1
# collie vdi list
  Name        Id    Size    Used  Shared    Creation time   VDI id  Tag
s image1       1  1.0 GB  0.0 MB  0.0 MB 2012-08-23 11:55   737a91  snap1
  image1       2  1.0 GB  0.0 MB  0.0 MB 2012-08-23 11:56   737a92

rbd
---
#rbd create --size 1000 image1
# rbd snap create --snap snap1 image1