[pve-devel] kvm disk template implementation ideas

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Aug 22 17:46:47 CEST 2012

> >>Should we support OVF:
> >>http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtualization_Format
>
> Ovf contain a disk image + vm configuration.
>
> Do we want full template to deploy a vm  or only a disk image template ?

I guess we want full template.

> Also if you create an ovf from a vmware server, which drivers are used in the
> image ?

Yes, I can see the problem.

> I see that turnkeylinux have ovf templates
> http://www.turnkeylinux.org/docs/builds
> but vmdk file inside ???

OVF is somehow too generic, and somehow related to vmware. I do not
like the format - just wanted to say that ;-)

> Maybe can we add option to import ovf templates and convert them, then
> write them in proxmox template storage.

Yes, sounds reasonable - so we do not need to consider that for now.

> >>What function do you need exactly (without implementation details)?
>
> >>- apply predefined/imported template
> yes,Can be usefull to import some demo vm, or preinstalled app.

can be done with vzdump/restore?

> >>- create/export template
> yes, user can create an base vm (linux/windows), export it in template
> storage, then when creating new,vm he can choose the template

that is backup/restore?

> - vm cloning, or disk cloning (but this is +- same thing that template, but
> implementation will be different)
> (maybe this point can be done in a second time)

That is also backup/restore?

Note: You can already do backup/restore via pipe, which is a 'clone' function.

> but, that's all I think.
>

> in order of importance, I think
>
> 1) create/export template
> 2) apply predefined/imported template
> 3) vm/disk cloning

So what is the difference to vzdump? Maybe we just need to improve the GUI?

- Dietmar