[pve-devel] kvm disk template implementation ideas

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Aug 22 12:34:02 CEST 2012

>>We should clarify functionality (and use cases) before we talk about implementation details.
Yes of course

>>We currently have templates for openvz, and we want something similar for KVM.
>>Should we support OVF: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtualization_Format

Ovf contain a disk image + vm configuration.

Do we want full template to deploy a vm  or only a disk image template ?

Also if you create an ovf from a vmware server, which drivers are used in the image ?

I see that turnkeylinux have ovf templates
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/docs/builds
but vmdk file inside ???

Maybe can we add option to import ovf templates and convert them, then write them in proxmox template storage.

>>What function do you need exactly (without implementation details)?

>>- apply predefined/imported template
yes,Can be usefull to import some demo vm, or preinstalled app.

>>- create/export template
yes, user can create an base vm (linux/windows), export it in template storage, then when creating new,vm he can choose the template

- vm cloning, or disk cloning (but this is +- same thing that template, but implementation will be different)
(maybe this point can be done in a second time)

but, that's all I think.

in order of importance, I think

1) create/export template
2) apply predefined/imported template
3) vm/disk cloning

> one feature that really miss on proxmox currently is disk templates for kvm
> machines.

We should clarify functionality (and use cases) before we talk about implementation details.

We currently have templates for openvz, and we want something similar for KVM.

Should we support OVF: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Virtualization_Format

What function do you need exactly (without implementation details)?

- apply predefined/imported template
- create/export template

(please complete the list)

- Dietmar