[pmg-devel] New filter

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Mon Jun 10 15:00:34 CEST 2019

Hi,

first thanks for sharing your contribution here, appreciated!

On 6/10/19 10:33 AM, Sofiane BENMEKKI wrote:
> I already checked the developer documentation. However, I didn't find the process for submitting a new feature.

See:
[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Introduction
[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Preparing_Patches

> If the added code meets your requirement, could you please tell me how to push it on the project ?
>
> Feel free to suggest me any improvement or report bugs.

I did not really looked at your code in detail, but the process
for getting patches in a Promxox based project is roughly as follows:

* first time only: send the CLA[2] to office at proxmox.com
* commit your changes split into parts which belong logically together
  (your two linked commits look totally fine regarding this)
  or pve-devel@ for Proxmox VE, see [1] above for some basic instructions
  for git format-patch and git send-email
* Either it gets applied and we're done or there are some issues left
  which will get noted here and a new version should be sent by you,
  (or the comments argued against, if they seem unreasonable or counter-
  productive to you)

[2]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation#Software_License_and_Copyright

In general it's nice to have a (short) paragraph which describes the
rationale behind the patch, in your case "why one would need that"
(specific real world use cases/example are good to list) and why
it was implemented in the way it was, often this is hard to come up
with as for you it seems obvious, so maybe try to look at it from
anothers POV or just describe shortly what you do. I mean that's
more a wishlist and  a way to get reviews more quickly, not strict
enforcement and we won't nack everything which is a bit short on info
:-)

Anyway, maybe wait for the resend until one of the devs more involved
with the Mailgateway got you some feedback before resending it as
format-patch mail, as today is a holiday in Austria this may at least
need until tomorrow.

cheers,
Thomas