[pbs-devel] [RFC backup 0/6] Two factor authentication

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Dec 2 14:15:56 CET 2020

On 02.12.20 13:51, Wolfgang Bumiller wrote:

>>> make sense, would expect them to be hashed
>
> FWIW TOTP secrets can't be hashes since they're supposed to be,
> well, a shared secret

yeah sure, above talks about recovery keys though.

>>> makes no sense to me, any reason you mention below can happen to arbitrary
>>> files, so just adds complexity while not gaining anything.
>
> Complexity is the wrong argument. The question is mainly whether we prefer
> lots of small or one big file. For PBS it's not even that important. It'll
> be more important when we add bindings for this to PVE where the file sizes
> are limited.

No complexity is seldom the wrong argument, it may not be enough on its own though.

> With a file per user it's also easier for an admin to work on the files
> directly. And if we want to add counters, limitations or eg. store date & ip
> of the last time an entry was used, we won't be locking one big file at login
> time. Not that I expect millions of concurrent logins to be happening ;-)

We create a confusing split view, all user info are concentrated into single files
per type, user.cfg, acl.cfg, shadow.json, etc. just TFA wants to be a unicorn and
split it up in files per user - seems rather inconsistent.

And, admins should resort to working on files directly as a last measurement, CLI
tools and the GUI should be preferred, *always*, so that's a moot point.