[pbs-devel] [RFC backup 0/6] Two factor authentication

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Wed Dec 2 13:51:55 CET 2020

> On 12/02/2020 1:35 PM Oguz Bektas <o.bektas at proxmox.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 01:27:47PM +0100, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
> > > 2. do not store recovery codes in cleartext (hash them instead, we thought
> > > hmac-sha256 is fine). the reason being that recovery codes can bypass
> > > other tfa methods so they shouldn't be visible
> >
> > make sense, would expect them to be hashed

FWIW TOTP secrets can't be hashes since they're supposed to be,
well, a shared secret

> > > 3. don't store all the tfa information in a single json file.
> > >

> > makes no sense to me, any reason you mention below can happen to arbitrary
> > files, so just adds complexity while not gaining anything.

Complexity is the wrong argument. The question is mainly whether we prefer
lots of small or one big file. For PBS it's not even that important. It'll
be more important when we add bindings for this to PVE where the file sizes
are limited.

With a file per user it's also easier for an admin to work on the files
directly. And if we want to add counters, limitations or eg. store date & ip
of the last time an entry was used, we won't be locking one big file at login
time. Not that I expect millions of concurrent logins to be happening ;-)