[pve-devel] [RFC guest-common 09/13] vzdump: schema: add fleecing property string

Fiona Ebner f.ebner at proxmox.com
Fri Feb 2 09:30:25 CET 2024

Am 01.02.24 um 22:33 schrieb DERUMIER, Alexandre:

>>> To clarify, with my "VM-specific" proposal I mean: The backup job
>>> decides whether to use fleecing or not. The VM decides which storage
>>> use for fleecing.
>

> Personnaly, for my usage, I prefer to define fleecing storage in backup
> job. (as we only define 1 backup storage in 1 job, and my problem to
> solve is the slow backup storage).
>

> But Maybe, indeed, some users would like to choose "use same storage
> than disk" , or choose a specific fleecing storage for a specific vm.
> So, maybe add an extra override option in vm options or directly on
> disk ? I really don't known :)
>
> Maybe try a simple option on backup job first, then add extra options
> at vm level if users want it ?

Yes, I think I'll go that route for now. And require users to choose a
specific storage instead of having a default. A default can still be
added later. "Use same storage as disk" also has the issue of
duplicating writes to the same storage with copy-before-write, which is
not the best for performance either, especially for NFS/CIFS.