[PVE-User] Unresponsive VM(s) during VZdump

Iztok Gregori iztok.gregori at elettra.eu
Thu May 9 10:35:22 CEST 2024

Hi to all!

We are in the process of upgrading our Hyper-converged (Ceph based)
cluster from PVE 6 to PVE 8 and yesterday we finished upgrading all
nodes to PVE 7.4.1 without issues. Tonight, during our usual VZdump
backup (vzdump on NFS share), we were notified by our monitoring system
that 2 VMs (of 107) were unresponsive. In the VM logs there were a lot
of lines like this:

kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] abort
kernel: sd 2:0:0:1: [sdb] abort

After (successfully) finish the backup, the VM started to function
correctly again.

On PVE 6 everything was ok.

The affected machines are running old kernels "2.6.18" and "2.6.32", one
has qemu agent enabled the other has not. Both are using kvm64 as
processor type, one is using "Virtio Scsi" the other "LSI 53C895A". All
the disks are on Ceph RBD.

No related logs were logged on the host machine, the Ceph cluster was
working as expected. Both VM are "biggish" 100-200GB and it takes 1/2
hours to complete the backup.

Have you any idea what could be the culprit of the problem? I suspect
something with qemu-kvm, but I didn't find (yet) any usefull hints.

I'm still planning to upgrade everything to PVE 8, maybe the "problem"
was fixed in later releases of qemu-kvm...

I can give you more information if needed, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
   Iztok

P.S This is the software stack on our cluster (16 nodes):
# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 7.4-1 (running kernel: 5.15.149-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.4-17 (running version: 7.4-17/513c62be)
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-12
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-20
pve-kernel-5.15.149-1-pve: 5.15.149-1
pve-kernel-5.4.203-1-pve: 5.4.203-1