[PVE-User] CEPH - benchmark

Alwin Antreich alwin at antreich.com
Wed Sep 20 07:59:26 CEST 2023

Hi Grzegorz,

September 19, 2023 12:28 PM, "lord_Niedzwiedz" <sir_Misiek1 at o2.pl> wrote:

> I have non heterogenic network and hardware.
> CEPH about        Write 1160MB/sec,     Read 1820 MB/sec
>
> One nvme drive started going crazy.
Have a look at the OSD latency, when it's high then it might be either HW issue or maybe the RocksDB performance degraded. In the latter case you can try an offline compaction [0].

And to add, array's are nasty, the have a lot of other quirks. It might not be the points mentioned above at all. ;)

> The performance of the entire array dropped catastrophically.
> The system said nothing.
> I wonder if there is any mechanism in CEPH/Proxmox that informs us about
> this automatically ??
You can activate the Prometheus module [1] on the MGR and scrape performance data and alerts from there. Modules for other monitoring solutions exist as well.

Cheers,
Alwin

[0] https://github.com/cernceph/ceph-scripts/blob/master/tools/bluestore/offline-compact.sh
[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/mgr/prometheus/