[PVE-User] EPYC ZEN gen1 migration success after installing amd64 microcode (FYI)

Jan Vlach janus at volny.cz
Fri Sep 8 15:44:09 CEST 2023

Hi proxmox users,

just a quick heads up:

I have cluster with  AMD EPYC 7551P 32-Core Processor (single socket) and AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor (dual socket). Both are ZEN gen1.

I’m running 8-node PVE7 with ZFS underneath.

Without enabling 'non-free’ and installing amd64-microcode (& reboot) the migration completed successfully, but VM was frozen. No networking, no console.

After installing amd64-microcode, live migration works fine both ways.

This wasn’t obvious for me, so just FYI, maybe it saves some time for somebody :)

JV