[PVE-User] USB Expansion Card for PCIE Hub passthrough?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 02:19:38 CEST 2023

Thanks everyone for the useful info.

nb. I did try passing through my Motherboard USB as its not used by the
proxmox install, but that was a disaster. Shares IOMMU groups with the
disk controller...

On 31/08/2023 3:40 pm, Arjen via pve-user wrote:
> Some GPUs have USB and often you can passthrough an internal USB controller that
> is provided by the CPU. Those usually work with passthrough.

None on mine (GTX 1070) unfortunately  :)

> Please search the internet/forums for a USB controller that is known to work with passthrough.
> Many cheap devices use a USB-chip that does not reset properly.  Sometimes manufacturers change
> the chip without warning for a cheaper one. Level1techs forum might help:
> https://forum.level1techs.com/t/jacks-hardware-the-ultimate-vfio-usb-3-0-controller/135926

Thanks!

>> Currently looking at a Orico 7 Port USB 3.0 PCIe Dual Chip Card.
>>
> Sorry, but I have no experience with that one. Check what chip it uses internally.

Yeah, thats the trouble with the cheap and cheerfuls, getting solid info
on the chipsets is a minefield.

> Best of luck on your hunt for the right USB controller.

Thanks! I'll post here if I find anything.

--

Lindsay Mathieson