[PVE-User] Proxmox HCI Ceph: "osd_max_backfills" is overridden and set to 1000

Stefan Hanreich s.hanreich at proxmox.com
Tue May 30 14:14:05 CEST 2023

Hi Benjamin

This behavior was introduced in Ceph with the new mClock scheduler [1].
If the mClock scheduler is used, the osd_max_backfills option gets
overridden (to 1000), among others.

This is what is very likely causing the issues in your cluster when
rebalancing. With the mClock scheduler the parameters for tuning
rebalancing have changed. In our wiki you can find a description of the
new parameters and how you can use them [2].

This should be fixed in the newer Ceph version 17.2.6 [3] [4], which is
already available via our repositories (no-subscription as well as
enterprise). It contains the fix for this issue and should override the
max_backfills to a more reasonable value. Nevertheless, you should still
take a look at the new mClock tuning options.

Kind Regards
Stefan

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/38920
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_mclock_tuning