How to update NFS storage IP on a cluster?

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Sun Mar 19 15:24:20 CET 2023

Hi,

I'm running a PVE 5.4 cluster with 8 nodes and NFS as shared storage for
VM. Yes I have to update PVE cluster, this IP updates is a prerequisite
for this.

I need to update the IP of the mounted NFS from 10.0.10.2 to 10.0.20.2
because I added a new VLAN only dedicated to NFS traffic (now is on the
same VLAN of Internet traffic). On the NFS server storage IPs are
already configured and reachable from all Promox nodes.

My idea was to live migrate VM to another node, update the IP in
storage.cfg in the local node, umount/remount NFS and migrate VM back on
the local node. And do it for all nodes.

But when I update the storage.cfg Proxmox mount automatically the NFS
storage with the new IP on all nodes, with the same mount point. So I
have the same NFS storage mounted two times with different IP, but I
don't think is a good thing for running VM.

Another idea might be to set in /etc/hosts a name for the NFS server,
set the hostname in storage.cfg, live migrate VM to another node, change
/etc/hosts per single node with the new IP, umount/mount NFS, and
migrate VM back on the local node. But the problem is the same, auto
mount of the new NFS mount point on all nodes after storage.cfg is saved.

Is there a way to update storage.cfg on a single node without propagate
the auto mount to all others nodes?

Do you have any other suggestions for doing this IP address update
without interruption of service/stopping VM?
Thanks

--
Alessio Cecchi
Postmaster @http://www.qboxmail.it