[PVE-User] Timeouts while creating backups on PBS

Sven sven at shelldog.de
Fri Mar 10 16:02:09 CET 2023

Hello

we have several clusters (~250 VMs) attached to one PBS and run daily
backups. Each day, there are random timeouts causing some backups to
fail.

I've disabled the instant verification process to reduce IO-load on the
PBS during that time. The timeouts are gone since then.

Because we do want to have verified backups, we tried out scheduled
verification tasks. Then we have the problem, that it takes to long
(>1d) to verify all ~250 new snapshots sequentially. 50 parallel verify
jobs works well.

My current idea is to write a custom scheduler to make sure that there
is a custom amount of verify jobs simultaneously when no backups are
running.

Is there a better way I don't see? If I may place a feature request: It
would be nice to be able to specify how many verify jobs can work
simultaneously.

Thanks!
Sven