SPAM: 13th gen intel instability

ciara at dotylabs.pw ciara at dotylabs.pw
Tue Jun 27 08:27:47 CEST 2023

Hey I've been using Proxmox 8.0.3, linux kernel 6.2.16-3-pve on a  13th
Gen Intel i5-13600K with 128GB's of DDR4 ram.

I'm noticing routine issues while booting newer 6.2 kernels that prevent
the os from fully loading the OS. This appears to be a new issue as
within the last week and a half. The screen get's to the point of
"/scripts/init-bottom" running and then the system just entirely hangs,
and i have to hard cycle it.

One variable that lines up is that I also started noticing these issues
after i upgraded to the pve 8 release. If i look at my reboot history i
had 15 days of uptime within the month of july without issue, after july
22 (when i installed pve 8) i have reboots nearly every single day.

I have tried downgrading to the kernel that i was using on pve 7
"6.2.11-2-pve", that had been solid up to that point, however i'm still
noticing issues during the boot process.

One other thing I noticed around the time the instability started is
that I installed a intel-microcode update. However this is just a
theory, the version being intel-microcode:amd64 3.20230512.1. I've tried
uninstalling the package but the boot issue seems to still be occurring
so perhaps this is just a red herring.

---

At this point i thought maybe my hardware went bad in some fashion, so i
swapped out the ram kit, the issue occurred. I swapped out the
motherboard, the issue occurred.  The only commonality is the cpu, and
i've never seen a cpu go bad like this.

So far the only solution that has allowed me to reliably boot is
disabling all power savings and turbo p state settings  and disabling a
cstate settings within the bios, per a couple reddit threads that
mention similar issues with the 12th and 13th gen cpu's. This solution
is not ideal.. The next couple things i'm thinking of trying is just
buying another cpu and seeing if this issue follows me. I've also tried
booting to a ubuntu desktop usb that was also on the 6.2 kernel and i
notice the same boot issues so it makes me think it's specifically a 6.2
kernel bug, or my hardware is specifically broken for this linux
release.. suddenly..

I've also tried booting to windows and not encountered system stability
issues however i want to use proxmox..