Ceph OSD failure questions

Stefan Radman stefan.radman at me.com
Sat Jun 3 13:47:20 CEST 2023

Hi

I want to create a Proxmox VE HCI cluster on 3 old but indentical DL380 Gen9 hosts (128GB, Dual CPU, 4x1GbE, 2x10GbE, 6x1.2T SFF 10K 12Gb SAS HDD on P440ar controller).

Corosync will run over 2 x 1GbE, connected to separate VLANs on different switches.
Ceph storage network will be a 10GbE routed mesh.

The P440ar controller will be switched to HBA mode.

I am planning to use 2 HDDs as redundant boot disks with ZFS (a waste, I know).

The other 4 HDDs will be used as Ceph OSDs in a single HDD pool.
Considering a single OSD failure the HDD pool should provide ~3TB usable capacity.

With 2 SFF slots still available I am considering adding one or two SSDs to each host for a Ceph SSD pool to improve performance for some virtual disks.

I am thinking to install a single SSD in each host as the failure of a second SSD would limit the usable capacity to 50% of the SSD pool because Ceph would immediately try re-create the 3rd replica on the still working SSD on the same node (from what I have read up to now).
A second SSD would thus not buy me any further usable capacity (I cannot create a pool of 4 SSDs because there are no more slots available).
Is that correct?

With a single SSD in each host if that SSD fails, how would VMs on that same host behave?
Are they going to continue to run happily or is I/O to their virtual disks going to stop until the SSD OSD is replaced?
If I/O to the SSD pool stops for all VMs running on the affected host, would HA fail them over to another host? (considering that 2 copies of the data exist on the other 2 hosts)

Thanks

Stefan