[PVE-User] DeviceMapper devices get filtered by Proxmox

Alwin Antreich alwin at antreich.com
Wed Jul 26 09:46:11 CEST 2023

Hi Uwe,

July 25, 2023 1:48 PM, "Uwe Sauter" <uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alwin,
>
> Well, if the documentation is to be trusted, there is multipath support since Octupus.
> My use-case is not hyper-converged virtualization; I simply am using Proxmox due to its good UI and
> integration of Ceph (and because it does not rely on containers to deploy Ceph).
I understand, though cephadm isn't that horrible and there are still other ceph solutions out there. ;)

> I am aware that HDDs will need some amount of flash but I do have a couple of SAS-SSDs at hand that
> I can put into the JBODs. And currently all this is just a proof of concept.
Yeah but the ratio is 4 DB/WAL to 1 SSD, opposed to 12:1 for an NVMe.
To add, you will need 512 GB RAM for OSDs (60 x 8GB) alone and at least a 32C/64T CPU. Probably some 2x 25 GbE NIC too, depending on the use-case.

Just saying, there are certain expectations with that many disks in one node.

> Thanks for the link though I have to support the arguments of the forum members that multipath is
> an
> enterprise feature that should be supported by an enterprise-class virtualization solution.
Well, multipath is supported. Just not in combination with Ceph. And PVE is not a storage product (yet).

Cheers,
Alwin