[PVE-User] PBS3 - can't add LDAP realm, same settings work fine with PVE7

Jan Vlach janus at volny.cz
Wed Jul 12 15:53:37 CEST 2023

Hello,
I’m preparing upgrade of our PVE7.4 + PBS2.4 infrastructure, I’ve started with PBS that boots in UEFI mode to verify that I have a re-bootable machine as per notes in upgrade guide.

I have LDAP authentication working successfully in PVE, but I can’t get it working in the PBS3
I’m trying to copy the settings from PVE, I’m missing Group classes and Group filter in PBS and I get weird error message on trying to add:

Could not search LDAP realm, base_dn could be incorrect: LDAP operation result rc=4 (sizeLimitExceeded), dn: “”, text: “”: rc=4 (sizeLimitExceeded), dn: “”, text: “”

bind user and server are redacted, there is no fallback server, password is managed by 1Password and is same. I can successfully lookup via ldapsearch from cli (no firewall). There’s no encryption.

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you,
JV

Detailed settings follow:

=== PVE7.4-15 settings ===

TAB: GENERAL TAB:
Realm: ldap
Base Domain Name: dc=economia,dc=cz
User Attribute Name: sAMAccountName
Default: True
Server: <redacted>
Fallback Server: <empty>
Port: Default
SSL: False
Verify Certificate: False, greyed out
Require TFA: none
Comment: LDAP

TAB: SYNC OPTIONS:
Bind User: CN=<redacted>,CN=Users,DC=economia,DC=cz
Bind Password: Unchanged, greyed out (I know this)
E-mail attribute: mail
Groupname attr.: sAMAccountName
Default Sync Options
Scope: Users and Groups

User classes: user
Group classes: group
User Filter: (MemberOf=CN=IT_OPS,OU=External,OU=Groups,DC=economia,DC=cz)
Group Filter: (|(sAMAccountName=IT_OPS))
Enable new users: Yes (Default)
Remove vanished options
ACL: True
Entry: True
Properties: True

=== PBS3 settings ====
TAB: GENERAL
Realm: ldap
Base Domain Name: dc=economia,dc=cz
User Attribute Name: sAMAccountName
Anonymous search: false
Bind Domain Name: CN=<redacted>,CN=Users,DC=economia,DC=cz // same user as above
Bind Password: <same as above, from 1Pass>
Server: <redacted>
Fallback Server: <empty>
Port: Default
Mode: LDAP
Verify certificate: greyed out, false

TAB: SYNC OPTINS:
First Name attribute: givenName // verified with cli ldapsearch
Last Name attribute: sn
E-Mail attribute: mail

Enable new users: Yes (Default)

User classes: user
User filter: (MemberOf=CN=IT_OPS,OU=External,OU=Groups,DC=economia,DC=cz)
!! I miss group classes
!! I miss Group Filter

Remove vanished options
ACL: True