[PVE-User] Debian 11 hard lock issues as VM

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Wed Jan 18 09:26:57 CET 2023

Hi Bryan,

El 18/1/23 a las 1:32, Bryan Fields escribió:
> On 1/17/23 3:22 AM, Eneko Lacunza via pve-user wrote:
>> Hi Bryan,
>>
>> We started to upgrade our cluster from PVE 7.2 to 7.3 yesterday.
>>
>> I have enabled the agent in our only VM with Debian 11 running on a
>> 7.3-4 node at the moment, and performed 5 full backups in a row, VM
>> continues working (no hang).
>
> This is replication, but I believe it's the same.

Some of the qemu-agent commands are the same, yes. We don't use
ZFS/replication, that's the reason I tried with backup.

>> You haven't provided details about your setup:
>>
>> - Server (especially CPU model). Debian could be suffering from weird
>> BIOS clock issues.
>
> The Hosts are HP DL360's Generation 7.  ZFS Raid2 local storage using
> 1.6 TB SAS SSD's.  The life used indicator is now 6% or 7% on most disks.

Those are quite old, is BIOS updated?

>> - Running kernel on PVE 7.3-4 . Kernel 5.15.x has been quite bad for us,
>> have you tried kernel 5.13 or 5.19?
>
> I reverted to 4.9.0-19-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.320-2 (2022-06-30)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux Kernel on the guest OS and it's not locked up once
> now.  This is running either the 5.2.0 or 7.2.0 agent.

Can you check TSC/clock related messages in syslog with new and old
guest kernel? Something like "Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable
because the skew is too large:".

> I've moved the VM's across hosts and they have the same problem.
>
> FingerlessGloves mentioned there was the possibility of this being a
> mariadb issue and I can confirm we have the official Maria DB packages
> installed on this server. 10.10.2-MariaDB-1:10.10.2+maria~deb11 is
> what we're running on the server.
>
> Could this be some interaction of new kernel and new maria db?

No idea, all our MariaDB instances are from Debian official repos.

Cheers

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 |https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/