PVE 8.0 lvm.conf

Stefan Radman stefan.radman at me.com
Sat Aug 12 12:35:56 CEST 2023

Recently I upgraded a single server from PVE 7.4 to 8.0, following the great upgrade instructions at the Wiki <https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8> [0 <https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8>]
and the recommendations <https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8#Upgrade_the_system_to_Debian_Bookworm_and_Proxmox_VE_8.0> [1 <https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8#Upgrade_the_system_to_Debian_Bookworm_and_Proxmox_VE_8.0>] for common configuration files.

The (apt) upgrade went just fine (thank you Debian and Proxmox teams, you did it again:)

I had never made any changes to lvm.conf and thus chose "Yes” during the upgrade to install the package maintainer's version.

When reviewing lvm.conf after the upgrade and comparing it against the backup I had made, I noticed a Proxmox specific configuration at the end of the old file that no longer appeared in the new lvm.conf.

root at pve80:~# diff -U0 /etc/lvm/lvm.conf{.pve74,} | tail -4
-devices {
-	 # added by pve-manager to avoid scanning ZFS zvols
-	 global_filter=["r|/dev/zd.*|"]
-}

On that machine I am not using ZFS and thus did not notice any adverse effect from the missing global_filter.
That said I do have hosts with ZFS root disks that I haven’t upgraded to 8.0 yet.

Is the global_filter still required in PVE 8.0?

Thanks

Stefan