[PVE-User] Moving virtual machine from CE 6.X to latest enterprise edition, advice requested

Aaron Lauterer a.lauterer at proxmox.com
Wed Aug 2 09:37:45 CEST 2023

That sounds like a reasonable plan.

If you have a network share that you want to utilize for the backups later on
(never store them on the same machine, 3-2-1 backup strategy and such ;) ) you
could already configure it on the old Proxmox VE server. That way, you don't
have to manually move the backup files over. Since you are decommissioning the
old server, there is no risk of running into issues of two different Proxmox VE
clusters (or separate single nodes), accessing the exact same storage.

Under normal situations, you don't want to give two Proxmox VE clusters access
to the same storage, as you might run into VMID conflicts.

Cheers,
Aaron