[PVE-User] (Newbie) Problems setting up Bridges for Multiple NICs

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Sep 19 12:42:15 CEST 2022

Hi Justin,

El 16/9/22 a las 10:06, Justin Gräflich escribió:
> Hello dear Proxmox Community, my Proxmox environment has 3 Ethernet
> Ports (2x 2,5GbE PCIe and 1x GbE Onboard as default Bridge)
>
> And i want to set them up as multiple bridges, working in the same
> network.

This might probe problematic... :)

> The reason for that is, to distribute the load to different connections.
>

> I configured the two NICs like:
>
> Vmbr0 (Proxmox default)
>
> IPv4/CIDR 192.168.178.11/24
>
> Gateway 192.168.178.1
>
> Autostart = yes
>
> VLAN Aware =yes
>

> Vmbr1 (2,5GbE Nic)
>
> IPv4/CIDR 192.168.178.12/24
>
> Gateway (Clean)
>
> Autostart = yes
>
> VLAN Aware = No
>

> Vmbr2 (2,5GbE Nic)
>
> IPv4/CIDR 192.168.178.13/24
>
> Gateway (Clean)
>
> Autostart = yes
>
> VLAN Aware = No

I suggest you to not set IP for vmbr1 and vmbr2.

> DNS Setting of my Proxmox:
>
> DNS1: 192.168.178.1
>
> DNS2: 1.1.1.1
>
> DNS3: 8.8.8.8
>

> My problem is, the machines have trouble with their DNS Resolvers.

192.168.178.1 is a VM hosted in Proxmox?

> Port is connected to the guests and if i set up a DNS to them locally
> in /etc/resolv.conf it works as expected, but it's just a temporary fix.

I don't understand this. How do VMs know what DNS server to use if not
configured in resolv.conf?

> Some machines only working with the "ifup" command.

Don't understand this. They don't have network until you perform ifup
inside guest?

Cheers

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 |https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/