[PVE-User] Mount issue of thin LVM on boot

Alex K rightkicktech at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:17:57 CEST 2022

Hi All,

I have created a thin LVM on top the existing *data* thin pool, as follows:

lvcreate -V2T -T pve/data -n vms

The resulting *vms* LVM is a thin LVM volume which then I format and mount
it at boot.
I perform this so as to be able to setup a gluster setup with three nodes
where the bricks will resize in the mountpoint of the thin LVM volume.

I have observed that when the hosts boot randomly, perhaps after a power
cut, they might temporarily lose quorum, which is expected until the nodes
are booted and the quorum is met. On loss of the quorum the mount point of
the thin LVM I have created is not able to mount and I suspect that this is
due to Proxmox not enabling the data thin pool if quorum is not met.

Is this the case? Can someone confirm this or provide any idea/hint what
could be wrong with this approach? I was thinking of checking if creating
the thin LVM on top of a different pool and volume group that Proxmox does
not manage might resolve the issue.

Thanx,
Alex