[PVE-User] Proces BOOTFB

Arjen leesteken+proxmox at pm.me
Thu May 5 16:08:41 CEST 2022

On Thursday, May 5th, 2022 at 15:56, Jack Raats <mlist at jarasoft.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At this moment I use proxmox 7.2-3. Before this version I could run a VM
> passthrough.
> On proxmox 7.2-3 I get an error that BAR1 doesn't have memory anymore.
> The memory ism occupied by a proces called BOOTFB.
>
> What is this proces doing?
> How to get the passthroug thing working again?
>
> Thanks
> Jack Raats

Before (with kernel 5.13) using video=efifb:off video=vesafb:off would fix this (at the expense of boot messages).
With 7.2 (or kernel 5.15), I would expect video=simplefb:off to fix this, but I my experience this does not work for every GPU.

I found that, for AMD GPUs, unblacklisting amdgpu AND not early binding to vfio_pci AND removing those video= parameters works best.
amdgpu just takes over from the bootfb, and does release the GPU nicely to vfio_pci when starting the VM.
(Of course, for AMD vendor-reset and reset_method=device_specific might be required.)
I don't know if this also works for nouveau or i915.

I hope this helps,
Arjen