[PVE-User] Experimenting with bond on a non-LACP switch...

Stefan Radman stefan.radman at me.com
Thu Jun 2 06:47:40 CEST 2022

Hi Marco

“active-passive” = mode 1 = active-backup

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt <https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt>
2. Bonding Driver Options
mode
	active-backup or 1

That’s all it is. No confusion.

Here are my personal recommendations for the cluster network:
Keep it simple: one cable per node going from one dedicated Ethernet port to one dedicated switch
Add redundancy <https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#pvecm_redundancy>: two dedicated Ethernet ports per node going to two dedicated switches, physically isolated from each other, powered from different sources.
Avoid any additional layers that increase complexity (bonding,LACP,VLANs)

Stefan