[PVE-User] iDRAC, virtual serial console, boot log.

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Thu Jul 14 15:58:38 CEST 2022

On Thu, 14 Jul 2022 15:17:55 +0200
Marco Gaiarin <gaio at lilliput.linux.it> wrote:

> Mandi! Stoiko Ivanov
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > how can i set console in systemd-boot?!
> > this should work out of the box - no special config needed
> > (at least it does on a R630 I run, and a virtual machine I just tested it
> > with)
> > I hope this helps!
>
> It does not. As just stated, i see on serial console the bios messages,
> then the boot loader countdown, then nothing for some seconds and then
> the issue/login.
Sorry for the misunderstanding - I read that systemd-boot does not show
anything - but the boot-loader countdown is what systemd-boot displays -
so that part is working.

the part that seems missing from your explanation is the kernel-output -
As the others in the thread suggested - you need to adapt the kernel
commandline for this - /etc/kernel/cmdline (for systemd-boot):
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline

and configure the console= to point to the correct serial terminal - see
e.g.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/working_with_the_serial_console#Kernel

> If i run on the same time the HTML5 console, i can see all the
> kernel/systemd cheatchat.

I hope this helps!