[PVE-User] Force reclaiming space on a vdisk...

Daniel Plominski dpl at ass.de
Thu Jan 20 13:23:06 CET 2022

Hello,

we have had very bad experience with trim, due to a virtio driver error,
a special release, the trim resulted in a corrupt Windows NTFS file
system.

The bug is fixed in the latest stable VirtIO drivers, but we only use
the legacy method using targeted "dd" (zero) cleanup on Linux / BSD VMs
and on Windows using "fsutil".

>From the perspective of the HOST system, a zvolume formatted with
filesystem and stored data is simply a "data container" with
unstructured data (depending on the structure, however, this can be
compressed well).
If now within the VM an area with zeros is written, this zvolume area is
stimulated to overwrite the contained data, the process is compressed
and the occupied blocks are released.

The block free up should also work with the ZFS algorithm "zle".

How often the cells of an SSD / NVME memory are overwritten depends on
the internal intelligence of the firmware / controller of the respective
memory.

TRIM "Discard" (if supported by the hardware, the hypervisor, the
hypervisor driver and the guest OS) can be used to better control this
remapping.

ASS - Der Bildungseinrichter GmbH
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

DANIEL PLOMINSKI
Leitung IT | Head of IT

Telefon 09265 808-151 | Mobil 0151 58026316 | dpl at ass.de
PGP Key: https://pgp.ass.de/dpl@ass.de.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 74DBC06BD9F63187C4DF8934C96585A89CFC10B3

		 Company Logo

			ASS-Einrichtungssysteme GmbH
			ASS-Adam-Stegner-Straße 19 | D-96342 Stockheim

			Geschäftsführer: Matthias Stegner, Michael Stegner, Ralph Müller
			Amtsgericht Coburg HRB 3395 | Ust-ID: DE218715721
Bottom_Line