[PVE-User] Force reclaiming space on a vdisk...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Thu Jan 20 11:47:28 CET 2022

Mandi! Daniel Plominski
  In chel di` si favelave...

> enable ZFS set compression=lz4 on the zvolume

Seems just enabled:

 root at ctpve1:~# zpool get all rpool | grep lz4
 rpool  feature at lz4_compress           active                         local
 root at ctpve1:~# zpool get all rpool-data | grep lz4
 rpool-data  feature at lz4_compress           active                         local

> and perform a memory limit dd run (inside the vm).
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mountpoint_sda7/CLEANUP bs=99M count=xxx
> (this will release the storage space)

OK. But i've just deleted the partitions. I have to create a new partition,
format them, create a 'dd-zero' file in them and then the space will be
released?

Really?!

I'm asking because i supposed that was the 'trim/thin' feature of ZFS to
permit to shrink a disk (eg, 'don't save the unallocated space'), not the
compressione feature (eg, 'don't save a bunch of consecutive zero, compress
it').

Speaking more clearly, i hope: i've perfectly clear that 'zeroing' a portion
of a disk permit the compression feature of zfs to compress it, but i
supposed that was the management of allocated spaces that make their
business here... i'm only a bit puzzled.

I hope someone can clarify, thanks.

PS: this server have a 'Proxmox VE Community Subscription 1 CPU/year'
 currently active on, but i prefere if possible to use mailing list for this
 support question. FYI.

--
  Ognuno vada dove vuole andare, ognuno invecchi come gli pare
  ma non raccontate a me che cos'e` la LIBERTA`.	(F. Guccini)