[PVE-User] Subject: Proxmox VE 7.1-2 Installation question

Aaron Lauterer a.lauterer at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 10 09:34:34 CET 2022

That the IP address is configured on the vmbr0 interface is normal and the basic default after a fresh installation. You can change that later if you want to place the MGMT IP somewhere else.
The vmbr0 interface is needed as the "virtual switch" to which the guests will be connected to.
The vmbr0 is using the physical interface as bridge port. Check out the /etc/network/interfaces file for more details.

Regarding the network not working; do you have more than one NIC in that system?
If so, it is likely that the installer selected the NIC that is currently not connected. You could try to just plug in the cable to the other NIC or change the /etc/network/interfaces file accordingly so that the vmbr0 will use that other NIC. Then either reboot or run `ifreload -a` to apply the network config.

If that is not the case, and there is only one NIC in the system, try to run `ip l s <NIC> up` and also check your kernel logs / dmesg for any messages regarding the network that might give us more information why the NICs are not up.

Best regards,
Aaron