[PVE-User] PBS - dirty bitmaps and multiple PBS storagtes

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Tue Feb 8 12:25:31 CET 2022

Hi,

I think this could be solved with a "Reverse Sync" functionality:

- Currently Syncs are performed by a PBS that connects to another PBS
and "pulls" datastore content to a local datastore.

- "Reverse Sync" would instead connect to a remote PBS and "push" local
datastore content to remote datastore. I don't know the technical
details, but this seems like a backup task (with chunk checksums already
calcultated and new backups created on remote with "arbitrary"
names/timestamps.

Do you think this would make sense?

The situation would be:

- Local PBS and PVE cluster. PVE backups to Local PBS.
- Remote PBS ("Cloud")

With Local PBS "Reverse Sync"ing to Remote PBS:

- No static IP needed for Local PBS
- No firewall config needed for Local PBS
- No additional PVE backup task for remote backup -> no dirty map issues

Cheers
Eneko

El 4/2/22 a las 17:21, Eneko Lacunza escribió:
> Hi Dietmar,
>
> El 4/2/22 a las 16:46, Dietmar Maurer escribió:
>>> Would it be possible for PVE to create dirty-bitmaps per backup
>> storage/PBS storage? That would make this kind of setups more efficient
>>
>> We decided against that because this can be a big memory leak. Please notice that we can never free those bitmaps, so they can accumulate when the user changes storage over time...
>>
> Dirty-bitmaps are lost if VM is stopped or migrated, if I understood
> correctly?
>
> If so, leaks would be cleared on next node reboot (version upgrade or
> new kernel installed).
>
> But I understand the issue. Maybe a check in advanced settings of PBS
> storage with a warning to request a storage-speciffic dirty-bitmap...? :)
>
> Thanks!

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 |https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/