PVE 6 to 7 BCM57412 devices name change

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Aug 1 14:27:04 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I have noticed that when upgrading from PVE 6.4 to 7.2, BCM57412 network
devices change name, i.e.:

ens2f0np0 -> enp101s0f0np0

Devices are seen like:
65:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57412
NetXtreme-E 10Gb RDMA Ethernet Controller (rev 01)
65:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57412
NetXtreme-E 10Gb RDMA Ethernet Controller (rev 01)

I have seen this in 3 different servers until now (all Dell PowerEdge).

This can be an issue if upgrading remotely (I was today, had to resort
to  iDRAC virtual console).

Has anyone seen this? Is there a way to know what the new name will be,
so that /etc/network/interfaces can be changed accordingly?

Shall I suggest a change in 6to7 wiki?

Thanks!

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 |https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/