[PVE-User] ceph

ic lists at benappy.com
Thu Sep 9 00:11:05 CEST 2021

Hi there,

> On 8 Sep 2021, at 14:46, Leandro Roggerone <leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar> wrote:
>
> I would like to know the goods that a ceph storage can bring to my existing
> cluster.
> What is an easy / recommended way to implement it ?
> Wich hardware should I consider to use ?

First, HW.

Get two Cisco Nexus 3064PQ (they typically go for $600-700 for 48 10G ports) and two Intel X520-DA2 per server.

Hook up each port of the Intel cards to each of the Nexuses, getting a full redundancy between network cards and switches.

Add 4x40G DAC cables between the switches, setup 2 as VPC peer-links, 2 as a simple L2 trunk (can provide more details as why if needed).

Use ports 0 from both NICs for ceph, ports 1 for VM traffic. This way you get 2x10 Gbps for Ceph only and 2x10 Gbps for everything else, and if you loose one card or one switch, you still have 10 Gbps for each.

The benefits? With default configuration, your data lives in 3 places. Also, scale out. You know the expensive stuff, hyperconverged servers (nutanix and such) ? You get that with this.

The performance is wild, just moved my customers from a proxmox cluster backed by a TrueNAS server (full flash, 4x10Gbps) to a 3 node cluster of AMD EPYC nodes with Ceph on local SATA SSDs and the VMs started flying.

Keep your old storage infrastructure, whatever that is, for backups with PBS.

YMMV

Regards, ic