[PVE-User] cpu vs vpcu vs core ... newbe question.

Leandro Roggerone leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar
Fri May 7 17:10:48 CEST 2021

Hi guys , i'm trying to understand cpu / vpcus terms and relations.
Looking at my cpu specs (Intel® Xeon® E5-2650 v2)
It says:
Cores: 8
subprocess 16

when creating vm , it does not allow me to set more than 4 sockets
If a set 4 socket x 33Cores = 132
then I can not turn of the vm with following message:
TASK ERROR: MAX 32 vcpus allowed per VM on this node
So max processor hardware I can assign is 4 sockets x 8 CORES = 32.
So ...
Why max socket is 4 ?
Why max count socket x cores = 32 ?
What is the difference between vpcus , cores and sockets.
which of them (sockets , vpus and cores) are virtual / physical ?

The only relation I can understand is with 8 cores mentioned on datasheet
and 8
cores listed when assigning processor hardware.
BTW:
My other pve node has a X5680 with 6 cores, and it allows max 24vcpus.

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>