[PVE-User] Windows sever 2016 vm with very high ram usage

Leandro Roggerone leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar
Mon Mar 29 15:53:08 CEST 2021


BTW ... Im using Default (kvm64) in cpu config.
Is there other option recommended for Windows VMs ?
I can not find soem doc related to this.
Regards.
Leandro.

El lun, 29 mar 2021 a las 10:37, Leandro Roggerone (<
leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar>) escribió:

> Hi guys , thanks for your words , have some feedback:
>
> Maybe Proxmox cannot look inside the VM for the actual memory usage
> because the VirtIO balloon driver is not installed or active? Or maybe the
> other 90% is in use as Windows file cache?
> I think so ...
> Dont know about windows file cache ...
>
> Have you installed the VirtIO drivers for Windows? Are you assigning too
> many vCPUs or memory? Can you share the VM configuration file? Can you tell
> us something about your Proxmox hardware and version?
>  No , I have not ... now you mentioned im reading about VirtIO , I will
> try to install and let you know how it goes
>  Should install it no my pve box or directly inside windows vm ?
> I'm assigning max vCPUs abailables (24 , 4 sockets 6 cores) and 32gb for
> memory.
> (I really don't know about any criteria to assign vcpus)
>
> This is VM config file:
>
> root at pve:~# cat /etc/pve/nodes/pve/qemu-server/107.conf
>
> bootdisk: ide0
>
> cores: 6
>
> ide0: local-lvm:vm-107-disk-0,size=150G
>
> ide1: local-lvm:vm-107-disk-1,size=350G
>
> ide2:
> local:iso/Windows_Server_2016_Datacenter_EVAL_en-us_14393_refresh.ISO,media=cdrom,size=6808810K
>
> memory: 32768
>
> name: KAIKENII
>
> net0: e1000=1A:F1:10:BF:92:0A,bridge=vmbr3,firewall=1
>
> numa: 0
>
> ostype: win10
>
> scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
>
> smbios1: uuid=daf8f767-59c7-4e87-b3be-75d4a8020c38
>
> sockets: 4
>
> vmgenid: a7634624-1230-4a3e-9e7c-255d32ad2030
>
> My PVE is:
> CPU(s) 24 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz (2 Sockets)
> Kernel Version Linux 5.0.15-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.0.15-1 (Wed, 03 Jul 2019
> 10:51:57 +0200)
> PVE Manager Version pve-manager/6.0-4/2a719255
> Total Mem = 64GB.
>
> That's all.
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
> El vie, 26 mar 2021 a las 11:40, Arjen via pve-user (<
> pve-user at lists.proxmox.com>) escribió:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Arjen <leesteken at protonmail.ch>
>> To: Proxmox VE user list <pve-user at lists.proxmox.com>
>> Cc:
>> Bcc:
>> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:39:13 +0000
>> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Windows sever 2016 vm with very high ram usage
>> On Friday, March 26th, 2021 at 15:28, Leandro Roggerone <
>> leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi guys , Just wanted to share this with you.
>> >
>>
>> > After creating a VM for a windows sever 2016 with 32 GB ram I can
>> >
>>
>> > see continuos high memory usage (about 99-100%).
>> >
>>
>> > I have no running task , since it is a fresh server and from task
>> manager
>> >
>>
>> > can see a 10% of memory usage.
>> >
>>
>> > Regarding those confusing differences, server performance is very bad.
>>
>> Maybe Proxmox cannot look inside the VM for the actual memory usage
>> because the VirtIO balloon driver is not installed or active? Or maybe the
>> other 90% is in use as Windows file cache?
>>
>> > User experience is very poor with a non fluent user interface.
>> >
>>
>> > Is there something to do / check to improve this ?
>>
>> Have you installed the VirtIO drivers for Windows? Are you assigning too
>> many vCPUs or memory? Can you share the VM configuration file? Can you tell
>> us something about your Proxmox hardware and version?
>>
>> > Any advice would be welcome.
>>
>>
>> Maybe search the forum for similar Windows performance questions?
>>
>>
>> https://forum.proxmox.com/forums/proxmox-ve-installation-and-configuration.16/
>>
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> best of luck, Arjen
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Arjen via pve-user <pve-user at lists.proxmox.com>
>> To: Proxmox VE user list <pve-user at lists.proxmox.com>
>> Cc: Arjen <leesteken at protonmail.ch>
>> Bcc:
>> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:39:13 +0000
>> Subject: Re: [PVE-User] Windows sever 2016 vm with very high ram usage
>> _______________________________________________
>> pve-user mailing list
>> pve-user at lists.proxmox.com
>> https://lists.proxmox.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pve-user
>>
>


More information about the pve-user mailing list